Saturday, March 7

Produce Bags Project

I've been trying to reduce the amount of waste I bring home from the grocery store each week, primarily all the plastic shopping bags, but also plastic produce bags.

At first, I starting reusing the produce bags when I went shopping. Then, I realized I could make my own reusable bags out of mesh packaging materials I might otherwise throw away.


How I did it: First, I cut off any tags and made sure the material was clean. Next, I sealed one end by crocheting it shut. If you don't know how to crochet, you could sew or even just tie knots to keep one end closed. Basically, you just need to secure it well, so nothing falls through. I also ran I string through the top, so my produce will stay inside.

I might look silly to some people at the store, but it makes me feel good to know I am making an effort to reduce the amount of waste I produce.

Tip: Sometimes mesh bags don't come apart in one piece. Don't throw these away, they can be used to help safely scrub food off your dishes without scratching. Just wrap a piece over your dishcloth.

1 comment:

  1. Rose, don't start washing your paper cups, or I'll know you've gone over the edge! :)

    - Jon

    ReplyDelete